Sunday, March 28, 2010

I have not seen freedom struggle. But I have heard and read about it frombooks on freedom movement. My grandmother's sister, a hindi teacher participated in freedom movement. She has met Gandhi and spoken in a meeting where he attended. She remained unmarried for a cause and she has explained to us several times how India struggled to get her freedom. She was a simple lady and wore only a white khadar mundu and a cotton blouse. My mother was born before Independence and she used to explain how world wars affected India as a whole and about the shortage of food supplement. They talked about spies of America and what ever little information they receive from news papers. We grew up respecting gandhi. But khadar lost its texture and true meaning as power crazy politicians of all parties monopolised on it to make a mockery of it later. Gandhi was not keen to grab power or fought for power. His motto was freedom for his home land. He said it openly that India's soul remainsin its villages. I wish people in power should take initiative to reform villages. Educated people are shifting their base from villages to cities in search of jobs or better life. If villages are self sufficient there is no such need for people to migrate. When I speak about Gandhi I remember Grace, my teacher. She and her friends after hearing a speech of Gandhi donated all their gold jewellery for freedom movement. He was such an inspiring soul and I don't think any one can claim his credentials. People are so selfish in this new free world and interested in calling other human beings worms or dirt or filth. They don't even know power is not for to misuse but to save the grace of our nation. When I see people misuse their power to gain wealth and to settle scores , I think of Gandhi. He used his strength for a cause power for a cause - freedom. He is respected for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment