Saturday, March 13, 2010

FREEDOM OF CHOICE


When I was in college a true Gandhian was invited to give a speech on Gandhian Studies. There was a new course introduced as Gandhian Studies. He spoke about Gandhian principles in detail. You will not become a Gandhi merely by wearing a dhothi or khadi outfits. How true are you in your conscious when you do your actions. That shows the real you; not exactly through a biased media propaganda. You rape a woman and when you say you are born in this world to set right moral standards, people will call you lunatic, not a righteous man according to moral standards. My mother was an honest school teacher, she was asked by her head master many times to submit her application for the best teacher’s award, she refused and I asked her why she did that. She said her duty is to teach and not to claim or go behind for awards. My father was an artist. They were different of course from the people who sell their stories in the market like hot cakes and not teach any moral values to their children. If you have a news paper in your hand you can even write a column on KR Narayan or NASA or praise Australian Ravens or Donkeys. It depends on your class which topic you prefer to circulate. I have a friend who goes to orphanages, poor homes, hospitals and find their needs and offers volunteer services. She told me recently one of the poor homes for children of construction workers require under garments. I remembered the enthusiasm of one news paper in collecting pink under garment through their front page to send  to one made up rebel on Valentine’s Day. Their columnists wasted a lot of ink and paper on this matter.  Hopeless, I must say. Let me not blame their up bringing. You find a lot of such people all around you. I don’t read news papers as I used to. I am honest from my heart when I say I lost respect for media and their ruling giants.  It is a waste of time to read about Australian Donkeys and their achievements by hook or by crook method or their loyal pink Indian undergarments. I  told my friend  that I will join her in her social service and contribute the money earned out of stopped subscriptions.. My mother is right. She was honest. She never purchased an award as she never believed in it. And for the people who waste news paper spaces on birds and a few pieces of biscuits, I sympathize. Instead of writing such frivolous columns about pickles and birds they can go and teach a few children of construction workers. Or let them down load from Google who the freedom fighters of India or about Jhansi Ki Rani.


No comments:

Post a Comment