Tuesday, June 29, 2010

HONESTY COMES FROM THE HEART
(From Wise and Otherwise – Sudha Murty)

"Experience has taught me that honesty is not the mark of any particular class nor is it related to education or wealth. It cannot be taught at any university. In most people it springs naturally from the heart."


One bright June morning three years ago I was reading my newspaper as usual It was the day Secondary School Leaving Certificate results had been published. It caught my eyes that a poor boy secured eighth rank. The next day to my surprise his photograph was published again this time with an interview. He was from a poor family and belonged to a tribal group. He was unable to study further he said in the interview because he lived in a village and his father the sole bread winner earned only Rs.40 a day. I felt sorry and though most of us spend a lot for tuition reference books without considering the cost and he excelled in spite of being denied some of the basic necessities of life.


Without wasting a minute I took a post card and wrote to him that I was interested in meeting him in Bangalore and that I would pay for his travel and some clothes. He finally arrived and he informed he would like to pursue his studies in his hometown Bellary. I asked him how much money should I send you per month?


He said he would get back to me and later informed me that he would require Rs.300/- per month. I send him Rs.1800/- to cover his six months. He acknowledged my draft without delay and expressed his gratitude.

Time passed and one day I suddenly I remembered I had to pay the boy for the next six months so I sent him another draft for Rs.1800/-.

This too was duly acknowledged but I was surprised to find some currency notes in the envelope along with the cover. He had written “it is kind of you to have sent me money for the next six months. But I was not in Bellary for the last two months. One month our college was closed for holiday and during the next month there was a strike. So I stayed at home for those two months. My expenditure during the months was less than Rs.300/- that I have not used for the last two months. Kindly accept this amount.

I was taken aback. Such poverty and yet such honesty, the boy knew I expected no account of the money sent to him for his monthly expenses, yet he had made it a point to return the balance money. Unbelievable but true!

Experience has taught me that honesty is not the mark of any particular class nor is it related to education or wealth. It cannot be taught at any university. In most people it springs naturally from the heart.

I did not how to react to this simple village boy’s honesty. I just prayed God would continue to bestow the best on him.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(How true! when people cut crore deals and claim honesty I think of the real honest hearts)





No comments:

Post a Comment